I will start by telling you about the first car problems that I had before taking the decision to change the engine control unit or ECU. Well, at one point when I was driving on the road with 70-80 km / h, the car stopped suddenly and all the warning Light Symbols appeared on the dashboard.
I start the car engine again, I waited to all my warning light symbols to turn off and I continued to drive. Since then, I have had problems with different warning light symbols that suddenly appeared on dashboard witnesses on board, such as a burning light bulb and electric hand brake etc.
After 2 years, the car stopped running again, I managed to start it again, but after only 20-30 km I could not start the engine at all. The warning light symbols that appeared on board were Check Engine and an error on DSG automatic transmission. Making a car diagnosis, I have found that the car has a fault with the Engine Control Unit or ECU.
The cause that damaged the Engine Control Unit was because of the water that got to it. The drains under the windshield were clogged with water and managed to reach the engine control unit and probably produce a short circuit. So, to avoid this, Check the drain holes beneath the cowl vent grille. That holes (on the left and right side) usually can be blocked with dead leaves or dirt and you have to unblock it using a flat blade screwdriver or a similar tool.
To change it, I bought a used engine control unit with the same serial number (like the old one) from a dismantling car parts shop with a price of 60 euros. Also I took the car to a repair shop to remove the old engine control unit and install the used one and the making the setup using a dyagnose tool. The cost for this procedure was 300 euros.
If you have any questions about this topic, please write to us in the comments section below.
If you want to know how to change the engine (ECU) for the VW Passat B6, we suggest you watch the video tutorial with VW Golf Mk5 HERE.
See More Products for VW Passat HERE:
– Mirror Switch Knob for VW Tiguan, VW Golf Mk6, Jetta, Rabbit, Passat B6, GTI, 5ND959565B: https://amzn.to/2J7j4wU
– Radio DVD GPS Stereo Player for VW Jetta Golf 6 Passat Polo Tiguan Seat Leon Skoda Octavia Double 2 Din 7 inch: https://amzn.to/3dxazVM
– Heater Blower Motor Air Conditioning HVAC Front for VW Golf Mk5, Jetta, Passat B6, Rabbit, Tiguan: https://amzn.to/3fGCq6T
– 1K0905851B Ignition Starter Switch Steering Lock for A3 TT VW Golf Jetta MK5 MK6 Eos Tiguan Ignition Key Lock Cylinder: https://amzn.to/3f3nobq
– Car Door Lights for Volkswagen LED Car Door Logo HD Welcome Light for VW Passat B6 B7 CC Golf 6 7 MK5 MK6 Tiguan Scirocco: https://amzn.to/2M62DyR
– Auto Light Sensor Headlight Switch (Coming Leaving Home Retrofit Module) for VW Golf 5/6, Passat B6, B7, CC, Scirocco, EOS, Touran, Tiguan, T6: https://amzn.to/2X8KTsV
– RCD330G Plus CarPlay App 6.5″ MIB Car Radio for Golf 5 6 Jetta CC Tiguan Passat Polo: https://amzn.to/3fy6OAg
If you have any suggestions about new tutorials, let us know in the comments section!
Check more useful tutorials for VW Passat B7!